Report a claim
If you have received a notice of claim, a lawsuit, or a demand for compensation, you should:
- Report the claim to PIC by calling 954-788-5453. Please allow about 20 minutes for the report and have whatever notice you received available for reference. It may also be helpful to have the patient’s medical record available.
- Fax to 954-428-1175 or send by overnight mail a copy of the notice of claim letter or the lawsuit. Do not fax your medical records. Note that if you are served with a lawsuit, your PIC policy requires as a condition of coverage that all such lawsuit papers be delivered to PIC within five days of service or receipt of the lawsuit papers, and that you must obtain a delivery receipt from PIC.
- Gather a complete and unaltered copy of all pertinent medical records, including a copy of the hospital chart and any prior or subsequent treatment records. Mail a copy of these records to PIC as soon as possible.
Do not discuss the case with anyone except a PIC claims representative or the attorney assigned to defend you. You should also:
- Maintain your original medical records in a secure place for future reference. Do not make any additions, deletions, or any other type of alteration to the medical records. Secure any other pertinent information or items in your possession, such as billing records, x-rays, hospital charts, etc.
- Keep all correspondence to and from PIC and your assigned attorney in a separate and secure file. These items should not be co-mingled with the original medical chart on the patient. Do not release these materials to anyone unless cleared through your assigned attorney or the PIC Claims Operations Department.
- The PIC claims representative assigned to your case will keep you fully informed as the case proceeds, both directly and through your assigned attorney. If you have questions, do not hesitate to call your claims supervisor.